Can Chapstick Cause Sickness in Dogs?


Will chapstick make a dog sick?

Dogs are known for their curious nature and tendency to explore their surroundings by tasting everything they come across. While this can be endearing, it can also pose a risk to their health, especially when they ingest substances that are harmful to them. One product that is commonly found in many households is chapstick.

Table Of Contents

Chapstick is a popular lip balm used by humans to moisturize and protect their lips. It is typically made with a combination of ingredients such as waxes, oils, and flavorings. While it may be safe for human use, the same cannot be said for our furry friends.

The ingredients found in chapstick, such as artificial flavors and fragrance, can be toxic to dogs when ingested in large amounts. Ingesting chapstick can lead to symptoms of gastrointestinal distress, including vomiting and diarrhea. Additionally, some of the ingredients like petroleum jelly can cause blockages in the digestive tract if a large amount is consumed.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested chapstick, it is important to monitor them closely for any signs of illness. Contacting your veterinarian for guidance is recommended, as they can provide specific advice based on your dog’s size, weight, and the amount of chapstick ingested. In some cases, the veterinarian may advise inducing vomiting or performing other treatments to help the dog eliminate the ingested chapstick from their system.

Potential Hazards of Chapstick for Dogs

While chapstick may seem harmless, it can pose potential hazards to dogs if ingested or applied to their skin. The following are some reasons why chapstick can be dangerous for dogs:

  1. Toxic Ingredients: Many chapsticks contain ingredients that are toxic to dogs. These include menthol, camphor, and phenol. When ingested, these substances can lead to gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and even liver damage.
  2. Choking Hazard: The plastic casing of chapstick can pose a choking hazard for dogs if they chew on it or accidentally swallow it. This can cause difficulties in breathing and may require immediate medical attention.
  3. Allergic Reactions: Dogs can be allergic to certain ingredients found in chapstick, such as fragrances or artificial additives. These allergies can manifest as skin irritations, itching, redness, and swelling.
  4. Obstruction in the Digestive System: If a dog ingests a large amount of chapstick, it can form a blockage in their digestive system. This can result in severe abdominal pain, vomiting, and constipation. Surgery may be required to remove the obstruction.
  5. Skin Irritation: Applying chapstick to a dog’s skin can cause irritation or allergic reactions. Dogs have more sensitive skin compared to humans, and the ingredients in chapstick may cause itchiness, redness, or rashes.

If you suspect that your dog has ingested chapstick or is experiencing any adverse reactions after coming into contact with it, it is important to seek veterinary assistance immediately. The vet will be able to provide appropriate treatment and advice based on the specific situation.

Symptoms of Chapstick Poisoning in Dogs

Chapstick is a common household item that many people use daily to keep their lips moisturized. However, it can be toxic to dogs if ingested. If your dog has gotten hold of and ingested Chapstick, it’s important to be aware of the symptoms of poisoning so that you can take appropriate action.

Vomiting: One of the most common symptoms of Chapstick poisoning in dogs is vomiting. If your dog has ingested Chapstick, you may notice them vomiting shortly afterwards. This is their body’s way of trying to get rid of the toxic substance.

Diarrhea: Alongside vomiting, diarrhea is another common symptom of Chapstick poisoning in dogs. The ingested Chapstick can irritate your dog’s digestive system, leading to loose and frequent bowel movements.

Loss of appetite: If your dog has ingested a toxic substance like Chapstick, they may experience a loss of appetite. They may refuse to eat their regular meals or show less interest in food overall.

Lethargy: Dogs that have been poisoned by Chapstick may also exhibit symptoms of lethargy. They may appear tired, weak, and lack energy. If your dog is unusually inactive and seems to be sleeping more than usual, it could be a sign of poisoning.

Abdominal pain: Another symptom of Chapstick poisoning in dogs is abdominal pain. Your dog may show signs of discomfort such as whining, pacing, or restlessness. They may also have a tense or bloated abdomen.

Difficulty breathing: In severe cases of Chapstick poisoning, dogs may experience difficulty breathing. This is an emergency situation and requires immediate veterinary attention. If your dog is struggling to breathe or gasping for air, seek veterinary help without delay.

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog after they have ingested Chapstick, it’s crucial to contact your veterinarian as soon as possible. They will be able to assess the situation and provide the necessary treatment to help your dog recover. Remember to keep all potentially toxic substances out of your dog’s reach to prevent accidents and keep them safe.

What to Do if Your Dog Ingests Chapstick

If your dog ingests chapstick, it is important to take immediate action to ensure their safety and well-being. While chapstick is generally not toxic to dogs, it can still cause gastrointestinal upset and discomfort.

1. Evaluate the situation: Assess how much chapstick your dog has ingested and whether the chapstick contains any potentially toxic ingredients, such as artificial sweeteners like xylitol. This information will help you determine the appropriate course of action.

2. Contact a veterinarian: It is always recommended to consult with a veterinarian whenever your dog ingests something they shouldn’t. They will be able to provide expert advice based on your dog’s size, breed, and the amount of chapstick ingested.

3. Monitor your dog: Keep a close eye on your dog for any symptoms of distress or illness. These may include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive drooling, abdominal pain, or changes in behavior. If you notice any of these signs, it is important to seek veterinary care immediately.

4. Follow your veterinarian’s advice: Depending on the situation, your veterinarian may recommend inducing vomiting or providing supportive care to help your dog eliminate the chapstick from their system. It is crucial to follow their instructions carefully for the best outcome.

5. Prevent future incidents: Take measures to prevent your dog from accessing chapstick in the future. Store it in a secure location, out of your dog’s reach, and consider using pet-safe alternatives for lip care products.

Although ingesting chapstick is generally not a life-threatening emergency, it is always better to err on the side of caution and seek veterinary guidance. Your veterinarian will be able to provide the most appropriate advice and ensure the health and well-being of your furry friend.


Can Chapstick harm dogs?

Yes, Chapstick can harm dogs if they ingest it. Some Chapsticks contain ingredients such as cocoa butter, menthol, and even artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which can be toxic to dogs. Ingesting these substances can lead to gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and even more serious health issues.

Why is xylitol dangerous for dogs?

Xylitol is dangerous for dogs because it can cause a rapid release of insulin, leading to a sudden drop in blood sugar levels. This condition, known as hypoglycemia, can be life-threatening for dogs and can cause symptoms such as weakness, lack of coordination, seizures, and even liver damage.

What should I do if my dog ingests Chapstick?

If your dog ingests Chapstick, it is important to contact your veterinarian immediately. They will be able to assess the situation and provide appropriate treatment. In some cases, inducing vomiting may be necessary to remove the ingested Chapstick from your dog’s system. It is always best to seek professional advice to ensure the safety and well-being of your pet.

Can dogs get sick from licking Chapstick off their owner’s lips?

Dogs can potentially get sick from licking Chapstick off their owner’s lips, especially if the Chapstick contains harmful ingredients like xylitol. While a small amount of exposure may not cause serious harm, repeated exposure or ingestion of Chapstick can lead to adverse health effects in dogs. It is best to keep Chapstick and other potentially harmful substances out of reach of your pets.

comments powered by Disqus

You May Also Like